MC40 is untargetable upon hyperspace in
- Target version changed from 0.12.0 to 0.12.1
From reading this report it sounds like the intended behaviour:
- Ship is spawned by player/AI
- Hypespace jump gets cancelled.
- Ship is made invisible, turned to the neutral faction (to prevent the ship from being targeted) and made invulnerable to prevent the ship from receiving damage whilst the Layer Z setup happens.
- Layer Z magic happens.
- The ship is turned back to its previous owner, made vulnerable again, made visible again and the hyperspace in animation is triggered.
From memory, the orange icon appeared during another game while I wasn't testing for that issue. When it happened, the game engine was under significant stress because of the size of the battle.
Hypothesis is that the orange icon signifies an invisible unit position. The layer z script makes units invisible while placing them, but this process usually is so fast you cannot see the unit icon turning orange. Under heavier load on the engine, it is likely that the script is slowing down and the invisible operation is a bit longer, allowing you to see the orange coloured icon. The faster your computer, the less likely you are to encounter that issue.
Didn't notice any problem with the unit being targeted or not while jumping in.